This list is a brief summary of the most significant additions to Vehicle Physics Pro along time. It doesn't include minor changes nor fixes.
Licensees may access the full development details via GIT revision logs:
- Vehicle Physics Core (Source Code version)
- Vehicle Physics Core (SDK version)
- Specialized Assets
- Sample Assets
- New VPChassisInertia component that configures a specific set of colliders to represent the inertia of the vehicle chassis. The inertia defines the understeer / oversteer behaviour.
- Support for the Logitech G29 steering wheel.
- New individual Clutch block that may be inserted in any point of the driveline (note that this block is not a replacement for the standard clutch, which is part of the Engine block).
- New advanced debugger component that shows the state values of each block in the driveline.
- New snapshot save / restore feature. Allows to save the full state of the vehicle and completely restore it later. Very useful on automated tests.
- New engine type: Synchronous Drive. Simulates a synchronous electric motor that enforces a specific RPMs in the output applying up to a given amount of torque.
- Support for D-BOX motion platforms [D-BOX site]. The new add-on component VPDboxOutput sends all the vehicle telemetry and state to the D-BOX API.
- New dual-drive steering vehicle setup for caterpillars (TrackVehicleController). Supports smooth speed transitions and neutral rotation.
- New Bulldozer controller (VPBulldozerController) for simulating this very special type of vehicle: engine, torque converter, locked differential, two clutches and two caterpillars.
- New components for designing and implementing automated vehicle tests.
- New automated tests: acceleration times, braking time and distance.
- New feature to export telemetry data to CSV for further analysis. This is especially useful in automated tests.
- New minimal build mode keeping the essential vehicle features only.
- Unity menu integration (Component > Vehicle Physics).
- Major reorganization of files and folders
- New driveline helper script for easily building common drivelines.
- Support for Multi-body vehicles. Wheels may now belong to different rigidbodies in the same vehicle.
- New component VPTireFrictionModifier for configuring tire friction for specific wheels.
- New damper calculation replacing PhysX's (faulty by design)
- New high-level component for managing the vehicle settings in a comprehensive way (i.e. safe, sport, race...)
- New experimental bike controller (two-wheeled vehicle)
- Suspension may now be modified via vehicle add-ons (VehicleBehaviour).
- Major suspension improvements.
- New VPXboxInput component for simulating gamepads and other devices via XInput.
- Support for Thrustmaster T500RS steering wheel.
- New component for non-linear speed gauges (i.e. Volkswagen Scirocco).
- New VPLiquidCargo component for simulating sloshing liquids in confined tanks (liquid cargo, fuel tank...)
- Custom camera modes: different camera configurations may now be specified per vehicle.
- Significant performance optimizations based on the profiler data.
- New VPSelfDrive component designed to be the building brick for AI and autonomous vehicles.
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC). Applies the brakes to individual wheels asymmetrically in order to counteract oversteer / understeer.
- Anti-Spin Regulation (ASR). Allows the vehicle to move when one of the traction wheels loses grip. In such case, brakes are applied to the wheel with less traction.
- New Steering Aids: limit the steering angle with speed, automatic counter-steering.
- Added order of execution for the VehicleBehaviour Update and FixedUpdate methods.
- New camera auto-FoV feature in the LookAt mode.
- New Speed Control Aids: cruise speed, speed limiter.
- New Replay system with rewind & continue, playback forwards / reverse, jump, fast forward / reverse, save and load.
- New VPHeadMotion component for easily setup the driver's view with inertial movements.
- Traction Control System (TCS). Limits the tire slip by reducing or suppressing engine torque.
- New vehicle component protocol. Vehicle add-on components now inherit from VehicleBehaviour for keeping in sync with their host vehicle.
- New fuel consumption model for combustion engine
- New VPVehicleJoint component for easily rigging articulated vehicles
- New VPDeviceInput component [documentation] for using any DirectInput device including force feedback
- New anti-roll bar component providing suspension linkage between two wheels
- New dynamic suspension component for adjusting suspension with load dynamically
- New VPPerformanceDisplay component [documentation] providing live performance charts for a variety of data from the vehicle.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) [video]. Releases the brake pressure in each wheel to prevent wheel slip.
- New vPDamage component for modifying meshes and wheels with impacts.
- Major code refactoring.
- New retarder brake feature. Mostly used on transport
- New inspector drawers for blocks and components
- New drag factor for the ground materials.
- New experimental mass scale factor.
- New ground materials feature: grip, visual effects, audio effects.
- Support for the Logitech G27 steering wheel.
- New visual effects component: dashboard lights and gauges, steering wheel, brake lights, reverse lights.
- New wheel sleep feature. Keeps the vehicle perfectly steady on slopes.
- New custom gravity feature.
From 2010 to 2015
Code name: NinjaVehicle
- Engine (incl. torque curves, inertia, idle control, stall)
- Clutch (incl. torque converter)
- Gearbox (incl. manual, automatic, auto-shift, parking mode)
- Steering (incl. ackerman, toe, multi-axle steering)
- Transmission (incl. differential and transfer case settings)
- Axles (incl. brake circuits and steering modes)
- Differential (incl. open, locked, viscous, LSD, torsen)
- Wheels (incl. tire friction, suspension)
- Direct drive motor
- Dynamics solver
- Vehicle Controller inspector