The input components read the input values from the user and passes them to the vehicle. This includes steering, throttle, brakes, gear lever, etc.
The vehicle receives the input data at the data bus,
Input channel (
The ignition key
Press and hold the control assigned to the ignition key (K by default) for starting the engine.
The vehicle implements the ignition key with three positions: OFF, ON, and IGNITE
- Pressing the corresponding Ignition Key control (K by default) once moves the key from OFF to ON.
- Pressing and holding keeps IGNITE applied until released or the engine gets started.
- Pressing the key-off control (Ctrl-K by default) moves the key from ON to OFF.
Reads the input from Unity's standard Input class, which is configured at Edit > Project Settings > Input.
- Throttle And Brake Mode
Behavior of the vertical input axis:
- Throttle and Brake: up is throttle, down is brake.
- Auto Forward and Reverse: automatically engages forward/reverse gears, inverting the axis when moving reverse.
- Brake On Throttle Backwards
- When the vehicle is moving backwards throttle (up) acts as brake.
- Apply Clutch On Handbrake
- Useful when handbrake affects the driven wheels. Allows more immediate handbrake effect (otherwise the engine would be counteracting the handbrake).
- Unlock Driveline On Handbrake
- Disengages the center driveline block (differential or torque splitter) in AWD when applying handbrake. AWD connects front and rear axles. Thus, applying handbrake at one axle affects the other axle as well. This setting disconnects AWD axles when pressing handbrake, allowing an immediate effect on the hand-braked axle.
- Ignition key
- Single press moves key to On. Press and hold for ignite the engine. Press with Ctrl for moving the key to Off.
- Steer axis
- Axis name for steering. Must be configured at Unity Input settings
- Throttle and Brake Axis
- Axis name for throttle and brake. The behavior will be affected by Throttle And Brake Mode.
- Handbrake axis
- Axis for the handbrake. It can be a regular button defined at Input settings (sensitivity and gravity will apply). Press with Ctrl to lock/unlock all brakes.
- Clutch Axis
- Axis for the handbrake. It can be a regular button defined at Input settings (sensitivity and gravity will apply).
- Gear Shift Button
- Button for gear shifting. It must have positive and negative bindings defined at the Input settings (Edit > Project Settings > Input, see pic below).
- Gear Mode Select Button
- Button for selecting gear mode in automatic transmissions (R, N, D ...). It must have positive and negative bindings defined at the Input settings (see pic above).
- Keyboard Number Select Gears
- The alphanumeric keyboard numbers engage the corresponding gears: 1, 2, 3, 4...
- Neutral Gear
- Key for selecting neutral gear, or None for disable.
- Reverse Gear
- Key for selecting reverse gear, or None for disable.
- Enable Reset Vehicle
- Resets velocity and orientation of the vehicle when the Reset Vehicle Key is pressed. Useful for recovering from roll overs or car falling upside down.
- Reset Vehicle Key
- Key that resets the vehicle when Enable Reset Vehicle is checked.
Explicitly impose the inputs, overriding the values received from the standard Input: Throttle, reverse throttle, brake, handbrake, steer, clutch, ignition.
Useful for debug or fine-testing purposes in the Editor. Can also be used for modifying the input from scripting without having to deactivate the VPStandardInput component.
Supports the Logitech steering wheel controllers, including force feedback where available.
Unity crashes if this component gets enabled while the steering wheel is not connected! Blame the buggy LogitechSteeringWheelEnginesWrapper.dll. Proper steering wheel support will be available soon for VPP.
- Digital Handbrake Rate
- How fast the handbrake gets applied when pressing the handbrake button.
- Steering Non Linear Bias
- Applies non-linearity to the steering. 0.5 is linear, above is faster response, below is slower response.
- Gear Shift Up / Down
- Controls for gear shifting
- Automatic Gear Next / Prev
- Controls for moving the gear lever in Automatic transmission mode
- Ignition Key On / Off
- Press and hold the ON control for starting the engine
- Applies the handbrake at the specified Digital Handbrake Rate
- Brake Lock Toggle
- Lock / unlock all brakes.
- Logical Tire Width
- Tire width used for the force feedback calculations. More width causes more intense reactions.
- Weight Intensity
- How much the weight affects the self-alignment torque.
- Force Intensity
- Overall multiplier for the force feedback.
- Damper Coefficient
- Applies resistance to the movement of the steering wheel.
- Debug Log
- Show debug messages at the console.
- Debug Gizmos
- Show the gizmos used for the force feedback at the Scene view in runtime.
Test Force Feedback Effects
Play the scene, check Enable Test Effects and move these controls for experimenting with the different force feedback effects. When test effects are enabled the vehicle doesn't apply force feedback directly.